Learn more about the tech and tools you need to learn online.
CarmenCanvas, CarmenZoom and BuckeyeBox will help you access your course material, stay connected with your instructors and classmates and set you up for success while learning remotely.
Basic Tech Requirements
You will need:
- Device (computer, laptop, tablet) which meets Ohio State’s minimum requirements
- Stable high-speed internet access (DSL, cable, home or public Wi-Fi, eduroam)
- Current versions of a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome
- Up-to-date Java and Flash plugins
Continue to employ the security best practices as you learn remotely.
- Make sure to lock your computer when you are not using it.
- Situations like this are prime phishing opportunities, and Ohio State has recently seen an uptick in the number of scams targeting university email accounts. Remain vigilant for security concerns and report suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find more resources to protect yourself and your computer at cybersecurity.osu.edu/students.
Online Learning Toolset
- Learn how to join a meeting or class on CarmenZoom
- Connect to Zoom via its mobile app
- Find more resources at the Zoom help center
Even if you have not yet used the tool for classes or meetings, make sure to log in through CarmenZoom ahead of time to make connecting in the future more seamless. Make sure you are logged in through https://osu.zoom.us/, rather than a free Zoom account, so you are not limited to 45-minute calls.
Show your Buckeye pride: Download custom Ohio State CarmenZoom backgrounds
Microsoft Office 365
Your BuckeyeMail also gives you access to Microsoft Office 365, which Ohio State students are eligible to use for free. Your Office 365 ID is your full BuckeyeMail address and the password you chose when you activated your Ohio State username. For directions on how to use Office 365, visit go.osu.edu/office365help.
BuckeyePass, also known as Duo, is a multifactor authentication service used to log in to many Ohio State services. To manage your BuckeyePass devices:
- Go to buckeyepass.osu.edu
- Click the Register/Manage Devices button (you are encouraged to register more than one device)
- Follow the instructions to finish setting up BuckeyePass
Your BuckeyeMail address is your Ohio State Username (lastname.#) @buckeyemail.osu.edu. This is your official university email account and should be checked daily.
Your instructor will communicate with you about how scheduled exams will function. You may be required to take exams or quizzes online using Proctorio. View the Installing Proctorio guide to learn how to get started using the proctoring tool.
Mobile Learning Apps
You have access to apps designed to support your learning and life at Ohio State. These apps, including the Ohio State app, are available for download on iOS and Android. You are also encouraged to download other learning and organization apps from the Apple Store and Google Play.
If you are in need of accommodations such as assistive technology or accessible media, Student Life Disability Services works to enable equal access to learning and university life.
SLDS is still open Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. All drop-ins and student appointments will be conducted via phone or virtually until further notice. SLDS will not be proctoring exams until further notice. The Assistive Technology Computer Lab will be closed.
Please refer to the SLDS and Virtual Instruction FAQ for information related to specific accommodation requests.
If you have concerns with how your disability will intersect with the transition to virtual learning or if you encounter any unanticipated barriers, please do not hesitate to reach out.
- Phone: 614-292-3307
- Video Phone: 614-500-4445
- Email: email@example.com